Keeping safe at home

We’re more at risk of fire now we’re spending more time at home but there are simple things you can do to reduce the risk.

At Yarlington we do everything we can to keep you safe from fire but now we’re all spending more time at home, we’re more at risk of accidents happening. There are some easy measures you can take to keep you and your family safe.

Electrics

  • Don’t overload electric sockets. Keep to one plug per socket and avoid using extension leads

  • Unplug appliances when you’re not using them


In the kitchen

  • In the kitchen, keep your cooker, grill and hob clean as a build up of grease or fat can ignite flames

  • Make sure your appliances are off when you have finished cooking, leave the kitchen or go to bed

  • Make sure frying and saucepan handles do not stick out from the hob as these can accidentally be knocked off the stove

  • Keep your cooker clear of objects that can catch fire easily such as oven gloves, tea towels, kitchen roll or loose clothing


Other hazards in your home

  • If you’re lighting candles, keep them away from curtains, soft furnishings and any other items that could catch fire

  • Make sure candles are put out fully before leaving the room or going to bed and never leave children or pets unattended with lit candles

  • If you smoke, make sure cigarettes are stubbed out properly and are disposed of safely, using a proper ashtray

  • Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children

  • The fire service has seen an increase in incidents involving bonfires over the last few weeks, please avoid having bonfires at this time to reduce demand on our emergency services. Where possible, try composting your garden waste or wait until the recycling centres are open again

  • For a quick and easy escape, should a fire occur, check that your corridors, doors and stairways are clear from obstructions