Celebrating safely outdoors
If you’re having a party in the garden or outside space we must ask you to not put up any decorations that could catch light, such as paper decorations, bunting etc. We’re not trying to be party poopers honestly, we just much prefer to not take chances and to keep you, your families, and your neighbours safe.
It's best to have barbecues set up on level ground, away from bushes, fences, tents or other structures.
Never leave a barbecue unattended.
Make sure the coals are cool before you move the barbecue. Once cool, dispose of the ashes safely – never place them in dustbins.
Keep a bucket of water, sand or a garden hose nearby in case of emergencies.
Don’t overload electric sockets. Keep to one plug per socket and avoid using extension leads.
Unplug appliances when you’re not using them.
In the kitchen
Keep your cooker, grill and hob clean as a buildup of grease or fat can ignite flames.
Make sure your appliances are off when you have finished cooking, leave the kitchen or go to bed.
Make sure frying and saucepan handles do not stick out from the hob as these can accidentally be knocked off the stove.
Keep your cooker clear of objects that can catch fire easily such as oven gloves, tea towels, kitchen roll or loose clothing.
Other hazards in your home
If you’re lighting candles, keep them away from curtains, soft furnishings and any other items that could catch fire.
Make sure candles are put out fully before leaving the room or going to bed and never leave children or pets unattended with lit candles.
If you smoke, make sure cigarettes are stubbed out properly and are disposed of safely, using a proper ashtray.
Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
For a quick and easy escape, should a fire occur, check that your corridors, doors and stairways are clear from obstructions.