Checks can include:
- Making sure products of combustion (fumes) are being safely removed outside via the flue or chimney
- Ensuring an appliance is burning the gas properly, and that there’s an adequate supply of fresh air for it to do so
- Making sure all safety devices are working properly
- Shutting off an appliance if a fault is found
Last month (August), we carried 2,246 gas services to maintain 100% compliance for gas safety in our homes.
Our engineers are all fully Gas Safe Registered and have regular accreditation assessments to keep them up to date with the latest regulations.
Gas Safety Records
When our engineer does a gas safety check at your home, they’ll record the checks they carry out on a form. This is called a Gas Safety Record, and it should list all of the appliances and fittings they’ve checked.
We will provide you with your own copy of this record within 28 days of the check being completed. And if you’re just starting a tenancy with us, you should also be given a copy of the latest record.
What to do if you smell gas
It’s crucial to act quickly in a gas emergency. These are the steps you need to take to stay safe:
- Get fresh air immediately; make sure you open all doors and windows to ventilate the area.
- Turn off the gas emergency control valve (also called gas emergency shut off valve) at the meter, unless the meter is located in a basement or cellar or at the LPG bulk tank or storage vessels.
- Extinguish all naked flames and don’t smoke.
- Don’t operate electrical switches (including turning light switches on or off) because this can ignite escaping gas.
- Contact the National Gas Emergency service on 0800 111 999.
- If the attending emergency operative identifies an issue with any gas appliances, follow their advice concerning the use of the equipment.
- If you’re feeling unwell, visit your GP or hospital immediately and let them know you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
- Don’t turn the gas supply on again until it’s been checked by our Gas Safe registered engineer.
Carbon monoxide (CO) alarms
Carbon monoxide (CO) can be deadly and is especially dangerous because you can’t see, taste or smell it. All of our homes are fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm.
If you have any concerns with your alarm or think it might not be working properly, you should get in touch with us right away.
Things to look out for in your home to stay safe from Carbon Monoxide
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Check your audible carbon monoxide alarm. These are fitted as standard in all of our homes, and will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
- Keep vents and chimneys clear. Make sure you don't block any vents, as they are vital to ensure gas appliances burn properly, and chimneys need to be cleaned and checked regularly.
- Use gas appliances only for their intended purpose. Don't be tempted to use them for something they weren't meant for (e.g using a gas cooker to heat a room).
- Spread the word. Share vital gas safety information with friends, family and neighbours to make sure your community stays safe.