Westfield Community Garden, a once derelict site, has been transformed into an oasis for the local community to enjoy. It will be opened by The Mayor of Yeovil, Cllr Evie Potts-Jones, and local children from Westfield Academy at 11am.
There will be live music from local artists, refreshments, and lots of activities for all ages to take part in.
The garden, located on Stiby Road, between the Co-op and Lockwood Court, contains:
- A Wild Zone, featuring wildflowers in a sea of colours, insects and birds, with birdhouse, bee and insect hotel.
- An Art Zone, with locally made creations to enhance the attractiveness of the environment.
- A Social Zone, an area for picnics, for chilling out on the grass, summer fetes and outdoor events.
- An Allotment Zone for growing fruit and veg.
- An Exercise Zone, with outdoor gym equipment.
- A Peaceful Zone, for reflection, and with seasonal blossom to make the heart sing.
The garden project has been led by the Westfield Community Association supported by government and council grants, housing provider Abri, and lots of local organisations including: Jones Building Group, Spark Somerset, YMCA, South Somerset District Council, Wessex Water, Bradfords, Westfield Academy, Creation Generation, Ryalls Park Medical Centre, Westfield Co-op, St Peter’s Community Centre, and Yeovil College.
Sophie Clark, Community Development Officer at Abri, has been supporting the project. She said: “We all know that being outdoors is good for our mental health. But it’s not just spending time outside that improves our wellbeing, it’s actively participating in making where we live a nice place to be. That’s why we’re proud to support Westfield Community Association to create such a great outdoor space for the local community. We’re committed to creating thriving communities and empowering lives with our £15m five-year community investment, making sure we’re driving change where it’s needed most.”
Join the Westfield Community Association Facebook page to find out more about the garden. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.