Support available for rising energy prices

Government schemes to support you

Please note that some schemes only run for part of the year so please check with the organisation before applying

Warm Home Discount

If you apply for the Warm Home Discount scheme you could get £140 off your electricity bill this winter.

To be eligible, you must meet one of these requirements:

  • You get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit – known as the ‘core group’

  • You’re on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme – know as the ‘broader group’

How to apply:

  • If you’re in the core group, you should have received a letter. If you haven’t, call the Warm Home Discount Helpline on 0800 731 0214.

  • If you’re in the broader group, contact your energy supplier.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born before 26 September 1955, you could be eligible for The Winter Fuel Payment, a payment of £100-£300 to help towards fuel bills. Payments were made automatically in November and December, if you didn’t get your payment, contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre

Household Support Fund

£421 million has been made available to County Councils and Unitary Authorities in England to support those struggling this winter. Contact your local authority to see if they have any availability to help you.

Cold Weather Payment

If you meet certain requirements, you’ll get a payment if your area is recorded as, or forecast to be zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days. You’ll get £25 for each seven-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

To be eligible, you must be getting one or more of the below:

  • Pension credit

  • Income support

  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance

  • Income-related employment and support allowance

  • Universal credit

  • Support for mortgage interest

If you’re eligible, you should receive the payment directly. Tell the Pension Service or Jobcentre Plus if you think you should’ve received the payment and you haven’t.

Working from home tax relief (ends March 2022)

If you have worked from home at any point in the past year, you can make a claim for tax relief which can help towards energy bills. It’s not an option if your employer has been giving you cash towards cost, but if not, you could receive £62.40.

You can apply on the website.

Other options

Contact your supplier

Some energy suppliers have hardship schemes for those in debt, so it might be worth contacting your energy supplier directly to see if they can help out if you’re struggling.


Charis Grants was launched to support those in financial difficulties struggling with energy bills. They have lots of information available on grants and schemes that may help you reduce your bills.

Home energy grants

Find out if there are any local grant schemes that may help reduce your energy bills.

Advice and guidance

There are lots of websites that offer advice and guidance on how to cut down your energy use and save money.

Energy Saving Trust share hints and tips on cutting down your energy use and has information on savings and grants available.

Energy Helpline provides advice and tips on switching suppliers and what options are available to you.

Citizens Advice Bureau share advice on energy use and has information on savings and grants available.

National Energy Action is the national charity working to end fuel poverty in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Centre for Sustainable Energy have trained, and independent energy advisors who offer free advice on home energy use to those in Bristol, South Gloucestershire and Somerset (including the unitary authorities of North Somerset and Bath & North East Somerset).

Energy Alton give practical advice on how to save energy and reduce fuel costs to those living in the Alton area.

The Environment Centre - help local residents in Southampton, Hampshire and Portsmouth by providing tailored advice and practical support on energy.

Simple Energy Advice – impartial and independent Government endorsed advice on reducing energy bills and how to make your home warmer.

Hampshire County Council – Hitting the Cold Spot – providing advice on how to stay warm and save money during winter to those living in Hampshire.