Support available for rising living costs

We know that the UK is in the midst of an energy crisis, and that your bills may be going up a lot.

We know that times are hard right now. With the ever-increasing cost of living and energy bills soaring, you may be worried about how you’re going to pay your bills and unsure of where to turn for help.

We’re more than just your landlord. We want to remind you that we’re here to help and offer many services to support you. And we've listed other resources out there to help.

If you’re struggling please don’t suffer in silence. Get in touch and let us help you.

Keep an eye on this page, we'll keep updating it as things change and new support becomes available.

What can Abri do to help?

We have a dedicated Tenancy Support Services team who provide a one stop shop for support services, so you can access help and support when needed. The team can help you with budgeting, provide welfare benefit advice and guidance, help you maximise your income and support you to set up utility bills. They can also signpost you to
specialist services such as debt advice if needed.

Our Employment Services have helped over 2,000 people into employment, secure a pay rise or better work conditions, take the next step on their career ladder, start their own business, or find training to help build their skills and confidence? And by 2025, we’re going to help at least 2,500 more people. To find out how we can help message or use the live chat on the portal, email or give us a call.

Government schemes to support you

Please note that some schemes only run for part of the year so please check with the organisation before applying.

Household Support Fund

£421 million has been made available to County Councils and Unitary Authorities in England to support those struggling this winter. Contact your local authority to see if they have any availability to help you.

Council Tax Rebate

The council tax rebate will provide a payment of £150 to households living in council tax bands A – D. Many people who pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit will have already received this. Local Authorities must have made these payments before the end of September.

If you are liable for Council Tax but don’t pay by Direct Debit your Local Authority should be in touch shortly to get the money to you.

Not eligible for the rebate?

Councils have been given a discretionary fund to help people who don’t qualify automatically. Each council will develop and publicise eligibility criteria and the claims process for this funding. Contact your local authority for information on how to apply for this.

Energy Bills Support Scheme

From October all households with a domestic electricity connection or a direct relationship with their supplier will automatically receive a £400 non-refundable discount. This will appear as a credit from your energy supplier on your electricity bill and will be spread across six months. There's a very small group of residents who have been missed off of this scheme but we understand that support to the equivalent of £400 will be given. We don't know the detail yet, the government will be sharing more this autumn. We're contacting all of those we believe are affected and will let you know what help is available for you.

Cost of Living Payment

A £650 one off payment is being made to all people who are in receipt of:

  • Universal Credit

  • Working or Child Tax Credits

  • Income Support

  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance

  • Pension Credit

The payment will be made in two lump sum payments starting 14th July 2022 with the second payment being made in October.

An Extra £150 payment will be made to people in receipt of disability benefits including:

  • Disability Living Allowance

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Personal Independence Payment

Find out more

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 25 September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’. Find out More

The amount you will receive depends on your circumstances. A breakdown can be found here.

Cold Weather Payment

If you meet certain requirements, you’ll get a payment if your area is recorded as, or forecast to be zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days. You’ll get £25 for each seven-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

If you’re eligible, you should receive the payment directly. Tell the Pension Service or Jobcentre Plus if you think you should’ve received the payment and you haven’t.

Working from home tax relief

If you have worked from home at any point in the past year, you can make a claim for tax relief which can help towards energy bills. It’s not an option if your employer has been giving you cash towards cost, but if not, you could receive £62.40. You can apply here.

Warm Home Discount

If you apply for the Warm Home Discount scheme you could get £150 off your electricity bill this winter.

To be eligible, you must meet one of these requirements:

  • You get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit – known as the ‘core group’

  • You’re on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme – know as the ‘broader group’

How to apply:

  • If you’re in the core group, you should have received a letter. If you haven’t, call the Warm Home Discount Helpline on 0800 731 0214.

  • If you’re in the broader group, contact your energy supplier.

Other options

Contact your supplier

Some energy suppliers have hardship schemes for those in debt, so it might be worth contacting your energy supplier directly to see if they can help out if you’re struggling.


Charis Grants was launched to support those in financial difficulties struggling with energy bills. They have lots of information available on grants and schemes that may help you reduce your bills.

Home energy grants

Find out if there are any local grant schemes that may help reduce your energy bills.

Advice and guidance

  • There are lots of websites that offer advice and guidance on how to cut down your energy use and save money.

  • Energy Saving Trust share hints and tips on cutting down your energy use and has information on savings and grants available.

  • Energy Helpline provides advice and tips on switching suppliers and what options are available to you.

  • Citizens Advice Bureau share advice on energy use and has information on savings and grants available.

  • National Energy Action is the national charity working to end fuel poverty in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

  • Centre for Sustainable Energy have trained, and independent energy advisors who offer free advice on home energy use to those in Bristol, South Gloucestershire and Somerset (including the unitary authorities of North Somerset and Bath & North East Somerset).

  • Energy Alton give practical advice on how to save energy and reduce fuel costs to those living in the Alton area.

  • The Environment Centre - help local residents in Southampton, Hampshire and Portsmouth by providing tailored advice and practical support on energy.

  • Simple Energy Advice – impartial and independent Government endorsed advice on reducing energy bills and how to make your home warmer.

  • Hampshire County Council – Hitting the Cold Spot – providing advice on how to stay warm and save money during winter to those living in Hampshire.