What you need to know about moving to Universal Credit

Find out more about how this may affect you.

Universal Credit is gradually replacing Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Job Seekers Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support and Housing Benefit for most working age people.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has started writing to people who claim these benefits to let them know that they will need to claim Universal Credit instead. If you currently claim benefits you can expect to hear from the DWP when it’s your turn to make the change.

The government would like everyone to be transferred over to Universal Credit by the end of 2024, so you may be contacted next week, or it may be in a couple of years’ time.

When you are contacted, it’s important that you take the time to fully understand what this means for you and your income. You will have up to three months to change over before the DWP will stop your current benefit award. The timing of the switch over is crucial to ensure that you don’t lose out on money you are entitled to, and that you do not have a big gap between payments.

We’re here to help

You can contact us anytime to get advice on the best time to start your Universal Credit claim. Our Welfare Benefit and Financial Responsibility Teams can calculate how much you may receive in Universal Credit, and let you know when the best time is for you to make your claim and support you to make the change over.

We’re always here to help, so if you’re struggling financially, or would like to discuss your income with our team, please get in touch.

Call 0300 330 9434 or contact us here on the portal.

You can read more information on GOV.UK.